Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The fine arts need PR too!

So after two years of PR frustration, I finally figured out this semester what kind of public relations gets me excited. I want to apply my PR skills in the fine arts world.

I had viewed my art history minor as just being able to take classes about something that I really enjoy, art. Then, during my hunt for a summer internship I realized that all museums have PR internships, and I realized that I had found my calling. So everyone get excited, you are about to learn about yet another PR niche.

You can work with commercial galleries and public institutions. There is such a diverse range of clients that you could represent around the world. World-famous museums, auction houses, touring exhibitions, etc... all need PR. If you love the creative side of the public relations practice this is a great place to start too. There is lots of publication design and event planning, but never forget that you will always have to write!

I am interning this summer with the Georgia Museum of Art, and most museums offer PR intern programs. Most of these are highly competitive though, so don't worry if you have to start out small and work your way up. Just don't try and take a job that I want!

I found a really neat site for a firm in the UK that specializes in fine arts:

And here is the link for the museum that I am working at this summer:

So, always remember, the world of public relations is incredibly broad, and just because you are learning how to write crisis plans in class does not mean that you have to be relegated to a life of corporate or agency PR! There are public relations professionals for everything!

1 comment:

Davis said...

I couldn't agree more. Ever since my dad went back to art school and began painting his still lifes, I have noticed all the PR people at his exhibits.