Thursday, February 1, 2007

My last PR assignment (besides this blog)

I am taking my cap stone course this semester. For the public relations students in the Grady College at UGA that is campaigns. My team and I are going to work to build a PR plan for the Home Depot Foundation that focuses on uniting their two initiatives of affordable, responsibly built homes and urban forestry.

Our team met with Kelly Cafferelli a few weeks ago. She is the Executive Director of the Home Depot Foundation. She spoke with us about helping the foundation unite their two initiatives of affordable, responsibly built homes and urban forestry. I am excited to be working for a client with such a recognizable name as Home Depot, and I am really interested in the whole "green" aspect of the campaign. I took an Anthropology course focused on conservation and the green revolution, and that sparked a passion for environmentalism.

Since meeting with Kelly I have started doing some research, exploring the world of public relations that focuses on green organizations. Here is a Web site for a marketing and PR firm that specializes in this: http://www.sustainablemarketing.com/pr. Before our meeting with Kelly I never really thought about PR specializing in environmental causes. However, it is quite a big business so it makes sense. This really is a major that anyone could find their niche in. It is so amazing realizing that I don't have to write crisis plans when someone gets sick off of a bad chicken nugget or something. I can really take whatever I am passionate about and apply my PR skills to that area. I can take my major anywhere! And now I am totally off track.

So I am really excited about my last student made PR campaign, and I think that I will get along with my team really well. The only problem that we might encounter is everyone not pulling their weight, but hopefully by now (we are all seniors and grad students) people have grown out of that habit. I will post towards the end of the semester and give a summary of our campaign. By then I will probably be an expert on responsibly built affordable homes and community forestry, but until then check out The Home Depot Foundation at http://homedepotfoundation.org/

No comments: